Our Memorial Day and our Family Home Evening lesson were so nice. I just had to share our day.
For our treat tonight, I made gluten free sugar cookies with blue frosting
and some with cream cheese and strawberries.
You can see the frosting was a big hit with Gerik.
Soon after this picture he rubbed a blob of frosting all over his cheek and hair.
Needless to say, he had a bath.
Our final activity was making mosaic flags. It was a super easy craft, but they turned out so cute. They are hanging in our front window now.
Earlier this afternoon, at 3 p.m., the kids and I joined the country in kneeling in prayer on behalf of those who have fought and died for our country and for freedom. My kids were so reverent and respectful and a sweet but powerful spirit filled our hearts.
During our FHE lesson we talked about our family members who served in the armed forces. My Grandpa Svedin (above) fought in World War II and was injured. He was shot in the elbow, very near his heart. I am so grateful for his example of bravery and sacrifice.
We also talked about my Great Uncle Calvin, my Grandpa Stocking's brother. He was killed during World War II in a training accident while state side. I have his violin.
Last night in our family scripture study we read the perfect scripture for Memorial Day, so we read it again tonight as part of our lesson.
The scripture is about the death of Teancum, one of the most tough, courageous, selfless, bold, righteous Nephite soldiers in the Book of Mormon. He was killed after he slew the leader of the Lamanites, Ammoron.
In Alma 62:37 it relates the sorrow that Moroni and Lehi, the leaders of the Nephite armies and Teancum's friends, and it describes Teancum's service to his country. I think it is very fitting for all who have fought and died, whether on the battlefield or later in life.
"...For behold, he had been a man who had fought valiantly for his country, yea, a true friend to liberty; and he had suffered very many exceedingly sore afflictions. But behold, he was dead, and had gone the way of all the earth."
Saying "thank you" doesn't seem like enough, but I say it with all my heart.




No comments:
Post a Comment