This kitchen makeover has been a LONG process. I painted the walls in October. I bought samples and thought I knew what I wanted. I bought 2 gallons of French Gray by Sherwin-Williams and hated it. So, I bought more samples at Benjamin Moore and found something better. Choosing the right paint color can be such a challenge, but I am very happy with the outcome.
Then, I started painting the cabinets in January when we had some warm days, allowing me to paint in the garage, but then it got frigid and too cold for painting. Plus I told myself I wasn't going to stress about getting it done since I have so many other things to do, like take care of four kids. Unfortunately, I got a little easy going about it, which is why four months later it's finally done. I have never taken so long on a house project in my life and never will again.
Here is BEFORE:
(My "before" pictures are always taken when it's messy, usually because they're taken mid project because I just remembered to take a "before" picture. It just makes the transformation all the more dramatic.)
I was not a fan of this rust red.
It's a pretty color, but it did not work for me in this room at all.
And.....
AFTER:
I didn't take a close up of the island, but can you see what we did to it? We added bead board and posts on all corners, plus swapped the boring super thin molding for something more substantial.
Also, we love that light above the table so much. I bought something at Home Depot but got home and decided I wanted something more unique not found at a big box store. So, I decided to check out Etsy, and I am so glad I did. For not that much more money, we got this industrial beauty. It was a little bit of a splurge for us since we usually buy things on sale or make them ourselves. We love it!
Other things we did: swapped the hardware. We went with black to help tie in the black appliances and found some cool drawer pulls that are a little more unique. I didn't zoom in on those, so use your imagination, I guess. We also got a different light above the sink. Right now I am painting the pantry the same color as the dresser. And in case you missed the Facebook pictures, the shelf above the dresser was handcrafted by Joel. I love it so much!
Colors:
Wall: Cinder by Benjamin Moore
Cabinets: Swiss Coffee by Benjamin Moore
Island: Forest Hills Green by Benjamin Moore
(I went through quite a few samples to find that one!)
We love our new kitchen!
Next up: table and chairs. Not really looking forward to that one, but it needs to be done.






So awesome! I think it's incredible that you could do that kind of transformation in ONLY 4 months! Remember that one time when it took me 7 months to do a single bathroom? 4 months is practically light speed in my eyes!
ReplyDelete