Wednesday, April 25, 2012
All About Bread
First off, because I can't get enough of that face...
Now it's all about bread...
I've been making gluten free bread for a while, but it has never looked this good. I had resigned to the fact that Clara's bread would always be a little bit flat. She liked the taste, so I didn't worry about it. But I got new, smaller pans that made her bread taller and look like actual bread loaves! My sister was visiting the day I made this bread, so she can attest to the fact that I was purely delighted at how this bread turned out and couldn't stop saying so.
And now for my wheat bread. Today I made 100% whole wheat bread for my first time ever, and I am proud to say that it was a success! And it tastes as good as it looks too! Not only that, it was a lot easier to make than I expected it to be. I feel so homemakery!
Joel was as giddy as a school boy when he saw what I was up to. His mom made bread his whole life (and still does- it was her recipe I used), so he couldn't wait. I even made scones with the leftover dough, like his mom sometimes does. I have a very happy man at my house.
So why did I decide to make my own wheat bread? It's not just for the health reasons, which are a definite perk. One day after looking at all the wheat we've accumulated I realized that someday I might have to actually use it. What on Earth would I do if it came to that? I decided I needed to figure that out. So, I bought me a wheat grinder, some nice bread pans, and today I finally tried them out. From here on out, the Ortons will no longer be buying their bread. Now that is something I never thought I'd say!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love the picture of G&G O in the background. But I am mad that your bread is beautiful, and I use the same recipe and mine is poo. What is wrong with me? I think you need to take my place on my health food blog. You are the queen!
ReplyDeletep.s. I can't get enough of that face, either. I miss him. And all of you!
Those are beautiful loaves Marianne. I also noticed Grandma and grandpa O. in the foreground. Baby boy is getting big but just as cute as ever! How are you guys doing/enjoying your new lives?
ReplyDeleteIt looks really yummy! I have always wanted to try wheat bread. You have inspired me
DeleteMarianne,
ReplyDeleteThat bread looks so good. I'd love to get the recipe from you if you share them. Way to be so homemakery. :)