Monday, February 23, 2015

Treasures in Heaven

For Christmas my parents gave me a book of stories about my ancestors that my cousin put together. This book is such a treasure! Since receiving it, every Sunday night (minus only 1 or 2) we read about someone in that book with our little family. Without fail, my kids never want me to stop reading. They always want to hear about the next person in the book. They love these stories, and I'm so glad because so do I! I am so grateful for my ancestors- for their amazing examples of sacrifice, love, service, and determination to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ, despite opposition.  

Last night we read about Adolph Christian Nordberg, my Great-Great Grandfather on my Dad's side. He was born in Sweden and was a shoemaker, just like his father. I had to chuckle at that because recently I have been a little obsessed with making baby shoes for Gerik. I guess that ability runs deep!

One of the things I learned about him is that he sang tenor in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir​. Reading this made me cry (I pretty much blubber through every story I read) because I love finding out that we have so much in common. My love for music is deep within me. Many of my ancestors loved music and were talented singers. What a choir we will make someday!

Chris was a good man who died far too young (he was 49). He did not acquire great earthly wealth while on this earth, but he did acquire things worth much, much more and not of this world. His treasures were heavenly treasures, and his greatest desire was for his children (and their children, etc.) to seek for and attain those same treasure in their lives. I wanted to share them with you because we all need reminders of what is really important in life.

"These treasures I have devoted my life to attaining and have cherished them. May you, dear ones, do likewise."

  • A Good Name- I give you a good name as honorable as it was when given to me. It is a symbol of honesty, integrity, and appreciation for the rights of others.
  • Courage to Live Up to Our Convictions- There are many times that to choose the right way means to stand alone, on your own two feet, no matter what ridicule and opposition may confront you by associates and so-called friends. There is no personal satisfaction or happiness in following the paths of least resistance. 
  • Belief in God- The extent to which we gain this determines the profitable or unprofitable use we make of our precious earthly experience. I know He lives and answers prayers, and guides when we permit him to do so, and that our progress is His whole concern.
  • Testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ- This gospel has been restored in our day to bring all mankind the light and knowledge necessary to exalt them in the Celestial Kingdom. And Jesus Christ, through His atonement, has opened the doors if we will but enter therein and continue in His way.
  • Life and Birth in a Land of Freedom- Only in a land of freedom such as we enjoy could the full extent of our heritage be realized. I sacrificed my family, friends, and career to come to a 'strange land' that I might have this freedom and provide the best for my children, and I did attain it.
  • Respect of Fellowmen- Forgetting self and loving our fellowmen is the way the gospel prescribes. It is my rich treasure to know this is the way of happiness and peace of mind, and it results in respect of fellowmen.
  • Gentleness and Humility- I can make best use of my intellect when my thinking is clear, and my attitude is willing to accept new ideas. I have learned that true greatness comes though service to all.

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

"But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves 
do not break through nor steal:

"For where you treasure is, there will your heart be also."

No comments:

Post a Comment